Monday, August 28, 2017

My New Sewing Room,

WELCOME to my NEW Sewing Room!


My husband decided that the Art Room we shared together was no longer big enough for the two of us because he is taking some art consignment work now and doing more and more of his art. So we have made a monumental effort to separate the Art Room into two rooms, one being my Sewing Room and the other will become his Art Room.  He has moved out!  Sorry to see him leave, but so glad he's only moving to the Art Room and out of my space.  Now I can sew till my hearts content. 🎔 


As soon as you walk into the room there is a long file cabinet that we got from Ballard's Back Room in Roswell over 10 years ago.  We have two of them and used them back to back when his art was in this tiny room with me.  But he has moved his out and mine was then placed against the wall under the bulletin board. Which the bulletin board is full of our family and favorite sayings, etc.  I think this is why I love this room of our home.  It has a lot of pictures on the board and makes my heart sing!

The small book case in the back houses more ribbon in the bins and also craft supplies in jars.  Below is my knitting yarn and decorating ribbon used for wreaths, etc.  Of course, on the floor is scrapbooks that I haven't put away yet. 



In the center of the room is my new (rather old used) table that I just purchased Saturday from Encore in Peachtree City.  It was only 67.50.  I love it.  I moved the round sisal rug up here and put it on top.  It gives me a place to do my work while sitting in my two chairs that also came from Ballard's Backroom.  We acquired all this furniture in the room from them at the same time when the room was originally created.


This corner above houses some of my to do items in the black bucket, paper that I use for wrapping, etc. and a green tin that holds my small collection of yard sticks and some embroidery supplies.  My husband put up the two antique paper racks that I had mounted on the file cabinets before.  I love them up here as they now are not only usable but also pretty.


This is between the two windows and is an old sewing table base that I pulled in from the yard.  It was on our back deck to hold beverages when we entertain outside.  It has a piece of granite that my friend Kathryn Black gave me when her son-in-law was getting rid of a supply that someone else gave him of odd pieces.  It's now holding my Silhouette machine.

Also the pink canvas above has my wooden initials mounted on the canvas.  It was originally red as I work for Chick-fil-A Support Center and had it in my office until we moved across the street.  Anyway I painted the background pink and love it in this new space.

The lamp initial is just one of those peel and stick initials on the shade.  Love it! 


The armoire in the background holds all of my scrap booking supplies and my green laptop that helps me with my embroidery machine.  I have room to slide over the cream chair and work in that space when needed.  I want to get back into some scrap booking soon so the new/old center table will assist me with that.  I love the centerpiece that I created.  It's a wire manikin and is covered with ribbon of all kind and pinned at the waist with a beautiful ladies pin.  I've had it for years but put it in the cream bowl and covered the inside with old pearl buttons to the top for a beautiful base. Also, the old Singer at the top was one of the first electric machines invented and was a gift from my son-in-law. He said it was over 100 years old. 


This is the closet of the room.  Inside it houses my embroidery machine to the left, my surger in the middle and on the right is my Singer sewing machine. I made the covers out of the Ballard's Design fabric ten years ago. 


Here's my Singer on the right side of the closet.  I love the thread holder that my husband made about 25 years ago as I have always loved to sew.


To the right of my Singer sewing machine is a place where a wonderful craftsman, Ray, built my shelving in the closet ten years ago where I put my wrapping paper.  It has separators and needs to be straightened out as I have too much paper.

Also my Singer was purchased in 1973 and still works beautifully except the bobbin winder sometimes gives me fits.  So I purchased a bobbin winder (the white case in the background).  I think it was $15.00 at Hancock Fabrics.  Love it!  So easy!


You will also notice the closet wiring that is normally used to hang clothing on.  I used it for my curling ribbon collection. I can just put it on there and it reels right off when I need it. 



This is the left side of the closet and I have utilized all the shelving in the closet.  I have a green bin for each of my children and what hasn't been scrap booked already is in there for future use.  I separated all our pictures and memories years ago and each of our two children have a green tub and their clothes and other items have a larger tub under our beds.  Even our grandchildren, myself and hubby have their own tubs. 


The chair was purchased at the Furniture Liquidation Store in Forsyth, GA for only $35.00.  I had it recovered in a fun fabric and have loved the way it turned out. 
I also love the chair to use in the morning when I am able to do my devotions.

The antique little black tea stand on the right of my chair has some sewing items such as seam rippers, needles & pins in the organizer there on top.  I also have a little book there on the second shelf that I use for keeping up with all my fabrics, paints, pictures, etc. of each room of our home which is useful when I go shopping.

The window treatments are fun.  I also made them ten years ago.  The molding at the top was done by my husband and the window treatments are held by wooden pegs and ribbon.


These 2 large cabinets were given to me by our best friends and that's where I store all my fabric except the upholstery/drapery fabric in the back cart that is also old and spray painted black.  I've tried to make the Sewing room consistent over the years and purchase only green/pink/black items to go in.  Seems to be my signature color.

I have so enjoyed sharing my new Sewing room with you!  I hope I have inspired you to make a room to call your own. I'm sure since I only moved in two weeks ago that I will have some new organization inspired ideas as I check out Pinterest in the next months.  I'll try to keep you posted when that happens! 

Happy SEWING ladies!


No comments:

Post a Comment